A History of Feminism in Glendale

A look back on the tradition of women’s rights in the Jewel City

Feminism is the belief that both women and men should be treated equally. It focuses on a variety of issues that impact women, such as working towards true equality, ending gender-based harassment, and ensuring equal opportunities for everyone. The positive impacts of feminism can be clearly seen in Glendale, even if you haven’t noticed them before.

Feminism in Glendale dates back to 1920, when the League of Women Voters was founded to encourage women to participate in their government. Their efforts came to fruition in 1957, when Zelma Bogue became the first woman mayor of Glendale.

In 1979, there was a national movement to deal with violence against women, and Glendale joined that movement when the YWCA Glendale opened the Sunrise Village, a temporary shelter for women who have safety concerns.

In 2003, the City of Glendale made a special commission called the “Commission on the Status of Women” that would advance equality and opportunities for women, as well as advance education about women’s issues.

At this time, there are many opportunities available for women in Glendale that wouldn’t have been possible years ago. In fact, according to the 2015-2016 City of Glendale Report on the Status of Women and Girls, women in Glendale make $1.05 to every $1 a man makes. This is significant, because there is a huge pay gap in most US cities. According to the AAUW (American Association of University Women), last year women nationwide earned only 82¢ for every dollar that a man earned.

Glendale is way more progressive in terms of feminism than other US cities. We are better when you look at the wage gap, women in politics, safety, and opportunities. If we continue on the same path, and promote more clubs like our GHS HERd Club, then we can be the city that others in the area can aspire to be.

Edgar Torabyan
Edgar Torabyan, Staff Writer
Edgar is a senior at Glendale High School. He’s a part of the journalism and cinematography programs at GHS, but he also enjoys participating in various other school activities. Outside of school, Edgar likes doing normal stuff, like drinking water and breathing oxygen.