Teens Can Soon Be Vaccinated

COVID-19 vaccines will soon be available for teens and younger children
emmer.com.ar

Within the 44 million people who have been vaccinated in the U.S., families are wondering when children will be able to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. Teens have a possibility to receive the vaccine by the end of April. But younger children might have to wait until the year 2022 to be able to receive the COVID-19 vaccination. 

Nationwide, 270 children have been killed by the coronavirus, leaving their families shattered, and others are anxious to vaccinate their children as soon as possible. Thousands of children have been hospitalized, while some are suffering heart problems because of COVID-19. 

Johnson & Johnson is beginning to start testing the vaccine on children aged 12 to 15. The CEO of Johnson & Johnson has reported that this month their company will most likely have a vaccine for children under the age of 18 soon. 

On March 24, 2021, Pfizer started a test on 9-year-old twins. This test will determine whether or not children aged 6 months to 11 years old will have access to the vaccine. The Pfzier vaccine is currently authorized for people 16 years and younger, and those who have health conditions, such as obesity, are getting vaccinated at Benioff Children’s Hospital in Oakland. 

Moderna has officially started testing children between the ages of 12 and 17 years. Similarly, AstraZeneca began testing its vaccine on 6-to-17-year-olds in February. 

High school students will most likely be able to be vaccinated in order to attend school in the Fall of 2021. Starting April 15, teens aged 16 and older may sign up to get the COVID-19 vaccine. After being vaccinated, these children will feel the similar side effects as adults, such as fever, chills and fatigue. 

With the 2,260 children volunteers aged 12 to 15, the data shows that among the fully-vaccinated children, none contracted the virus. 

Kids being vaccinated is very important, because they spread the virus very easily. A quarter of the U.S. population is children, so they must be vaccinated in order for us to start returning to normal.  So once you’re eligible to be vaccinated, go get vaccinated and save the lives of many more kids!

Maeli Ibarra
Maeli Ibarra, Staff Writer
Maeli is a senior at Glendale High School. She plays for the varsity softball team, and her position is center-field. In her free time, she enjoys watching movies on Hulu and scrolling through Tik-Tok.