Grace Petrossians Scores Again!

Our junior soccer team captain is keeping her eye on the ball!

Grace Petrossians is a 16-year-old junior who attends Glendale High School. She was born here in Glendale, and she is a captain on the GHS girl’s varsity soccer team. Some of her favorite hobbies include playing soccer, cooking alone or with friends, and spending time with her loved ones, like her friends and family. She is a very caring and kind person who likes using her time wisely and bettering herself at every opportunity she has. 

Grace used to play soccer outside of GHS, which she enjoyed. However, now she only plays for her school team, which is still such an enjoyable experience for her, since she loves what she does. 

What inspired you to play soccer?

I was inspired to play soccer because of my brother, who is older than me, and my dad. I started playing at a young age and have always looked up to my brother. I have also always been surrounded by this sport, which made me interested. Seeing my brother’s smile at the end of every game, and seeing my dad so proud of him, inspired me to join and connect with them through the sport. 

Emily Churukian

How long have you been playing soccer? 

I have been playing soccer for many years now. Although I have been playing on and off, during these past few years I have found a true love and passion for it, which led me to consistently play and make it a common thing in my life. Being in high school also made me interested in joining a sport, and since soccer has been something I’ve grown up seeing my family do, I instantly knew it was a sport I wanted to join, besides being in it outside of school when I was younger.

Who is your favorite soccer player? 

My favorite soccer player would have to be Lionel Messi. I believe he is successful because of the confidence, practice, and perseverance he has endured throughout his years of playing this sport which he and many others admire. He is a professional who loves what he does, making him one of the best players, or THE best in my opinion. 

What would you say to encourage others to join and play soccer?

To people who would want to start playing, I would say just go for it, because it challenges you in multiple ways and allows you to make new friends. You will find a sport that you can play and love for the rest of your life. You can truly find comfort and love in this sport, and sometimes it can be like a getaway. It is very fun and interesting, and you’re always learning something new to better yourself. 

What are some challenges in soccer that you still face today?

Some challenge in soccer that I still face today are experiencing losses. I am passionate about my sport, and losing, of course, upsets me so much. However, it’s all about the journey and experience. I have been told and know that making mistakes is good, and learning from them is the benefit. 

How do you feel about continuing on the soccer team during your senior year? 

I will 100% continue to play soccer in my senior year, because it is my last year, and enjoying it one last time would be a dream. I will remain captain because it is truly enjoyable to me. I love playing and being a part of this wonderful team!

You can learn many things, and gain knowledge about different techniques, by being a member of next year’s team. Joining soccer will also ensure that you make friends that you can relate to, and you will have a new activity that will keep you busy! 

Playing a sport like soccer will further help you when you begin applying to universities soon. Colleges want to see how involved you are, and how involved you will continue to be when you attend their school. 

If you are interested in joining next year’s girl’s soccer squad, contact Coach Aquino for more information at [email protected]! And don’t forget to follow the GHS girl’s soccer Instagram page: @glendalegirlssoccer

Suzie Tamrazyan
Suzie Tamrazyan, Staff Writer
Suzie is a senior at Glendale High School. Suzie’s favorite thing to do is dance, and she has been dancing since she was five. She started off with ballroom dancing but then found Armenian cultural dance to be what she likes the most. She enjoys watching shows, spending time with friends, and traveling.