• May 31The Black Team defeats the Pink Team, 41-7, in the 2024 Powderpuff Football Game!
  • May 24Senior Lilit Arakelyan wins the 2024 Pat Navalonic Memorial Award! Lilit will be attending UCLA in the fall!
  • May 1Senior Alexis Cabral wins the 2024 Lancaster Prize, for her article "A Day Without a Phone"!

Gilmore Girls

Are Rory and Lorelai the perfect family?
Gilmore+Girls

Gilmore Girls is an amazing show that revolves around the close relationship between a daughter, Rory, and her mother, Lorelai, and it is set in the tight-knit, cozy, fictional town of Stars Hollow, Connecticut. This is a very bittersweet and heartwarming show that documents their journey of life, including all the ups and downs that they face together. 

This series really shows how important it is to be positive, even during the hard times. Lorelai and Rory are successful, because they are always there for each other. The beautiful bond between them is what makes the show so watchable. This is a must-watch show for anyone who loves humor, drama, and heartbreaking moments.

In each season of Gilmore Girls, we see all of the characters who deeply care about Rory. It is shown how many people adore her and want what’s best for her. Coming from a small town, where everyone knows each other, has its upsides, but it also has its downsides.

As the show progresses, we see Rory experience things she’s never experienced before. She faces many challenges, and meets many people, who all influence the young woman she eventually becomes over the course of the show. 

However, the Gilmore girls always solve their problems. Loreali is a single mother who works hard to give Rory a better life, and she tries to be the best parent possible, despite her not-so-great relationship with her own parents. Rory, on the other hand, stays focused on and stressed about school, fitting in, and enjoying life. 

Over the course of the series, Rory and Lorelai’s shared love for coffee is obvious. They have their daily mother-daughter coffee dates at Luke’s Diner, owned by Luke Danes, Loreali’s potential love interest. You could say that Luke is like a father to Rory, as he cares for her like no other.

Eventually, we meet Christopher Hayden, Rory’s biological father. He adores Rory, too, and tries to be a good influence on her. Although Luke has been there for her more than Christopher has, Rory makes sure that both of these men know how important they are to her.

We also meet Lorelai’s parents, Emily and Richard Gilmore. Their relationship with Lorelai is complicated, to say the least. 

Lorelai left home at a young age because of the pressure she felt from her parents. This has created problems and their interactions are usually pretty awkward. Even when Lorelai and her parents are trying to get along, something always feels wrong, almost like they are speaking a different language and can’t seem to agree on anything. They, however, still have unconditional love for each other. 

My favorite character in the show has to be Sookie St. James, a chef and Lorelai’s best friend. This character was played by Melissa McCarthy, before she had her breakout role in Bridesmaids. Sookie is almost like a second mother to Rory, and she, along with the rest of the town, are always looking out for this mother and daughter. 

Although Sookie isn’t great at multitasking, she ensures that her work is the best of the best, and she always gets everything done. She always finds a solution to everything and thinks very positively. 

This show is amazing, but it can also get boring sometimes. Some of the episodes are not as essential as others, and there are a lot of unnecessary characters.

But if you love this show as much as I do, you can have a cool experience that is very close to home.

Last spring, I visited the Warner Bros Studio lot, where I saw the sets from Gilmore Girls. It felt so magical to share the same spaces as these amazing characters. It was so exciting and fascinating to see everything and how difficult it must have been to bring it all together. This tour is definitely a must-see, and it should be accessible to everyone. 

Overall, I feel like Gilmore Girls is a great show for a fall evening with coffee, blankets, and most importantly, your mom. It is such a cozy and memorable series, and everyone should give it a watch.

Suzie Tamrazyan
Suzie Tamrazyan, Staff Writer
Suzie is a senior at Glendale High School. Suzie’s favorite thing to do is dance, and she has been dancing since she was five. She started off with ballroom dancing but then found Armenian cultural dance to be what she likes the most. She enjoys watching shows, spending time with friends, and traveling.