• May 1Senior Alexis Cabral wins 2024 Lancaster Prize, for her article "A Day Without a Phone"!

Gran Turismo

Jann is here to prove that nothing is impossible
Gran+Turismo

The new action movie called Gran Turismo was released on August 25, 2023. This film was directed by Neil Blomkamp, and the writers are Jason Hall, Zach Baylin, and Alex Tse. This movie is about one of the biggest video games out there, and it’s known for its amazing simulations and designs.

The story follows Jann Mardenborough (Archie Madekwe) and his journey at the Gran Turismo Nissan Racing Academy to fulfill his dreams. This academy is first introduced and brought up by Danny Moore (played by Orlando Bloom), which all starts with a video game racing simulation called Gran Turismo, which was created by Takehiro Hira (Kazunori Yamauchi). Jann is trained to race by a man named Jake Salter, who is played by David Harbour from Stranger Things.

This movie is so amazing and so fun to watch for me, especially because I love this game, and to see it portrayed on a big screen is so amazing! This movie is relatable in many ways, and people who have experienced similar problems or achievements, that are shown in this movie, will feel very connected to it. 

I really recommend watching this movie, because you can really see the connections that Jann has with his goals and how determined he is to achieve them. 

You also witness all the problems and difficult challenges that Jann faces, especially with his father, who wants him to choose a career where he will be successful. His father wants him to finish what he started, and he doesn’t realize that Jann just wants to choose his career and path and receive support from his family.

This movie is probably one of the best movies I’ve seen so far in my life. This is because I love cars and racing, and to me, it is always so interesting and cool to watch cars and drivers being pushed to their limits. 

The part of racing that I don’t like is the most difficult part: crashing. This is the scariest part about racing, and car crashes have happened many times and have also caused multiple deaths. In the movie there is actually a scene where Jann also has a crash that sadly costs someone their life.

The coolest aspect of this movie is that it is based on a real event that actually happened with the real Jann Mardenborough. He experienced a lot and went through the most challenging things a person new to driving a car can experience, and this movie captures all that he went through.

Gran Turismo shows how some people may think that their goals and achievements are impossible, but they should always follow through on what they may hope to accomplish throughout their life. Overall, this movie is amazing, and I would definitely recommend that everyone should watch this movie, especially if they are car lovers, like me!

Andrew Peralta
Andrew Peralta, Staff Writer
Andrew is a sophomore at Glendale High School, and he is a member of the soccer team. He enjoys playing soccer and watching movies, and his favorite superhero is Spider-Man. He also loves to hang out with his girlfriend, friends, and family.