• May 1Senior Alexis Cabral wins 2024 Lancaster Prize, for her article "A Day Without a Phone"!

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

Miles Morales is here to change the universe!

The animated action movie, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, was released on June 2, 2023, and it is a sequel to Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, which came out in 2018. This new film was directed by Juaquim Dos Santos, Kemp Powers, and Justin K. Thompson, and it was written by Phil Lord, Christopher Miller and Dave Callaham

This is the ninth movie in the Spider-Man franchise, and a tenth one is set to be released in 2025. Spider-Man is a very well-known superhero, and the character is very famous out there. 

This sequel follows Miles Morales (Shameik Moore), who is trying to figure out what is going on with the Spider-Verse. He is reunited with Gwen Stacy (Hailee Steinfeld), as she surprises Miles after they had been separated into their own universes after the first movie. 

Miles and Gwen are excited to finally see each other, but Miles can tell something is off with her. He notices that she has come to his universe to search for something else, and not mainly just to see him. He eventually discovers that she is a part of a secret group on a mission to save the world. 

One of my personal favorite characters in this movie is Spider-Punk, voiced by Daniel Kaluuya, because he’s so different from the other characters. He always has a fun and amazing spirit in him, that keeps him so energetic and fun. The way he was created, and his image, is so awesome, and he looks like pieces of a magazine that have been cut out and made into him. Even his effects are magazine-like. 

Spider-Punk also treats Miles in a special way, because he is there to help him and be there by his side from the start of the movie. One interesting thing is that he is secretly stealing elements from the Spider-Verse, because he is making his own multiverse watch to be able to travel to other Spider-Verses. 

Another good aspect of the movie is Miles’ relationship with his parents. He is always genuine, honest, loving and caring with them, and the relationship they have is heartwarming. One effective scene is where Miles and his mother have a connection, and they talk about Gwen and how to handle things differently, especially since he’s growing up.

Miles and Gwen also have an entertaining friendship. Ever since they first met at school, where she received the haircut that she is currently known for, they have gotten closer together. They also go on missions together and both teach each other new tricks and tips.

The main villain in this film is also very creative. The Spot was created by Miles Morales himself in the previous movie when sneaking around in the laboratory. His powers include a teleportation device made out of his own body, and he creates multiple black spots on his skin that are portals to another location.

As an action adventure, this movie is also so much fun to watch. The best action scene is when Miles tries to escape from the Spider-Verse headquarters. This part of the movie is so exciting, because you get to see all the different generations and forms of Spider-Men from each and every single universe. You get to see so many cool and different versions of our hero that you probably never thought existed. My favorite one was the Spider-Man T-Rex, which surprised me a lot!

(WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!)

However, the worst part of the movie is the ending, which is so horrible and disappointing. There is a moment when everyone, including Gwen, is able to cross universes again and form a team to capture Vulture. And just when the team has been formed, the movie ends with the title, “To Be Continued.” I was very frustrated.

(SPOILERS OVER!)

Overall, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse was worth the wait, but in some ways it is disappointing, because the ending is very upsetting! Regardless, it is for sure one of the best animated movies I have ever watched, and the animations and features in the movie are just incredible and mind-blowing. It is for sure worth the money.

And if you enjoy this movie, you should definitely check out the original Spider-Verse film, and don’t miss the upcoming Spider-Man: Beyond the Spider-Verse. We’ll get to see all the new amazing features, animations, villains and heroes being added to the movie. 

Hopefully this new movie is worth the wait as well!

Andrew Peralta
Andrew Peralta, Staff Writer
Andrew is a sophomore at Glendale High School, and he is a member of the soccer team. He enjoys playing soccer and watching movies, and his favorite superhero is Spider-Man. He also loves to hang out with his girlfriend, friends, and family.