The Sandlot

The iconic 90’s movie still holds up!
The+Sandlot

The legendary movie The Sandlot was released in 1993, and it was directed by David Mickey Evans and written by Robert Gunter. The Sandlot was one of the most popular movies back then and it is still remembered today. The movie might just give you an insight into how childhood was like in the 1960’s.

This iconic movie isn’t a highly popular movie just because of its name. It is also an entertaining movie about a group of young baseball players during the summer of 1962. The movie is based on a true story that the director experienced during his childhood. 

The movie features the actors Tom Guiry, Mike Vitar, Karen Allen, Denis Leary and James Earl Jones. The movie is set in Los Angeles, California and the filming locations were at Midvale, Salt Lake City, and Ogden, Utah. 

The Sandlot is mostly about a group of boys who love to play baseball, and they meet Scottie Smalls, a young boy who just moved into the neighborhood. They manage to become good friends and decide to go play together at a sandlot. They have a lot of funny and interesting adventures, and they go through some challenges. 

The most memorable part of the movie is when the boys run into trouble when Scottie borrows his step-dad’s autographed Baby Ruth baseball, and they accidentally hit it over a fence. While attempting to retrieve the valuable baseball, they meet a huge dog, called “The Beast”, waiting for them on the other side. Eventually the boys make a plan to recover the ball, and after a long challenging and risky attempt, they finally recover the baseball from the giant dog.

After the movie was released, it was very popular quickly and caught the attention of many eyes. It made over $34 million dollars at the worldwide box office, and has brought joy to the many adults and children that have watched it over the years.

But there are some things you might not know about The Sandlot. For example, it was dangerously hot during filming, and Tom Guiry, who plays Scottie Smalls, was running around in the 110-degree heat when he got weak and fell into one of the cameramen. 

This movie also reflects poorly on children today, because every kid nowadays is on their mobile devices or indoors playing video games. Many children refuse to go outside, like they did in the old days, and The Sandlot is a reminder to all kids that there is a world of fun and friendship right in their own neighborhood. They just have to put down their phones and game controllers and experience it.

Overall, The Sandlot is a great throwback movie, and it will be an entertaining film for any age. Hopefully, it will be known and enjoyed for many years to come, and it will live on forever in the hearts of children everywhere. And if you enjoy this movie, you may also like the other baseball films, like Little Big League and Rookie of the Year.

Edmond Hayrapetyan
Edmond Hayrapetyan, Staff Writer
Edmond is a senior at Glendale High School. He enjoys training in MMA, lifting weights and listening to music.