Pateel Warujan Wants All Nitros to Get into the Act

Drama Club president is hoping to bring theatre back to GHS

Pateel Warujan was born in Iraq and lived there until she was three years old. Shortly afterwards, her parents decided to move to Syria, where they lived there for four years, before emigrating to America. Ultimately, Pateel’s parents wanted to give her a better future and education in the United States. 

Pateel has been a part of the Glendale Unified School District since she was in first grade. Her hobbies include dancing, acting, and cooking. She used to take dancing classes, but she stopped in 2019. The practice hours were too inconvenient for her, but she felt sad for leaving. 

As for acting, Pateel does it mainly at school, but on occasion she will perform at home. She thinks it is a fun thing to do in her free time. Cooking is just a side hobby for her as well, and she loves making meals for her family. Something new that she is trying to cook is potato curry.

Pateel began her interest in drama in the eighth grade, where she was a part of the drama class at Roosevelt Middle School. During that time, she was a part of many productions, and she enjoyed playing acting games with her classmates.

The story of the Drama Club at GHS has been a bit rough. Pateel took part in the club during her ninth grade year, but at one point, the club was canceled due to the reassignment of the drama teacher. 

But this year, Mrs. Holly Donohue was hired as the new drama teacher, and the Drama Club was revived from its two-year slumber. Due to it being her last year in school, Pateel decided to become the president of the club, because she feels that Mrs. Donohue is so nice and tries to help anyone if they are having a hard time with anything.

Pateel believes that the Drama Club is a warm and welcoming community, where she feels safe, and she is sure that it will be the same experience for anyone who joins.

During club meetings, the main thing they do is play games together, such as Party Quirks, Freezing, and Late to Work. These games allow club members to develop a stronger and friendlier bond between each other. Another topic they address during meetings is fundraisers, which have not been decided yet, but they are planning to do something soon.

Pateel hopes that the Drama Club will be active for a long time after she leaves GHS, and she feels that if it does, it will stay on as a very welcoming community where anyone can feel safe and happy.

If you are interested in joining the Drama Club, please contact Mrs. Donohue at [email protected].

Maxim Arutunian, Staff Writer
Maxim is a senior at Glendale High School. Currently he is a leader on the GHS track & field team, and he helps the newbies to get comfortable in the sport. His favorite hobby is to play video games, which are a big part of who he is.