The Forest

This VR adventure is one that you shouldn’t miss
The+Forest

The Forest is an action/adventure survival horror video game. It was produced by Endnight Games using the Unity 4 game engine, and it is compatible with the Oculus Rift virtual reality headset. The Forest was officially added to the Steam Store on June 14th, 2013.

The Forest is a first-person game where the player must survive from the moment after they wake up from a plane crash. At first, players may be able to stay alive for sometime using what is found aboard the plane, but eventually those supplies will run out and they will need to go out into The Forest. This is where you first use the crafting mechanism, which entails creating a spear. Players will also need to set up a fire to keep warm and develop a home base in order to survive.  

To avoid dehydration, players must ensure that they collect drinking water from lakes, or they can craft a water collector using a turtle shell and wait for it to rain.  The island’s cannibals appear to be mostly nocturnal, which means that players are protected during the day, allowing them plenty of time to prepare for the inevitable closing night. 

The Forest has an “ending,” but the makers want it to be a non-essential component of the game, claiming that some players may become so focused on merely surviving that they would miss the true finish.

There’s not a lot of information about the characters in the game, allowing the player to imprint themselves onto their characters. As for the graphics, they are awesome, if you are running a decent gaming PC. Even if you are playing the game on a console, the graphics are still relatively good

Gabe Castro, who wrote the soundtrack for the game, also did a wonderful job. The music changes as you go into different areas, and it just fits the game so nicely overall. 

There is no set time to complete the game. The speedrun of the game (without using any glitches) is at about 21 minutes, while a casual playthrough can range from 5 to over 24 hours. 

After playing the game myself, I would say I had a very positive experience with it. If I’m being honest, I got jumped-scared a few times while playing this game late at night and into the early morning. 

It is a multiplayer game, and I had two friends join me. They helped me with building a town and a farm, and ultimately we worked together in beating the game. 

The game costs only $20 on Steam and on the Playstation Store, so you will definitely get a lot of bang for your buck! If you are looking for a fun game to enjoy this holiday break, and if you are okay with having a few scares and laughs, then this is the game for you! 

And if you don’t have a way to play The Forest, but you want to see what happens, you can watch Noahj456 play through the whole game on YouTube!

Evan Carrillo
Evan Carrillo, Staff Writer
Evan is a junior at Glendale High School. He loves hanging out with friends, getting to meet new people and going to the beach. Not to mention, he loves to eat food.