Your Fast Food Is Killing You

Here are a few reasons why junk food is terrible for teenagers

Nowadays, people eat a lot of junk food, which is bad for our health. Fast food, especially, is full of calories and unhealthy fats. Consuming too many calories from fast-food meals can cause weight gain. Obesity can develop as a result of this, and this can lead to breathing issues, like asthma and shortness of breath. The extra pounds will also place pressure on your heart and lungs, causing warning signs to appear, even though you’re not doing anything.

One of the reasons that junk food is bad is that it can lead to fatigue. While fast food makes us feel complete and happy, it lacks all of the nutrients our body needs to stay energized and balanced, such as proteins and carbohydrates. People can experience chronic fatigue if they eat junk food any time they get hungry. It will deplete their energy levels to the point that it’s impossible to function.

Another reason why fast food has negative effects is that it contains a lot of added sugar, which causes the metabolism to work overtime. In order to avoid a sharp rise in blood sugar levels, refined sugar allows the pancreas to secrete more insulin. Since fast food is deficient in healthy carbohydrates and proteins, blood sugar levels drop sharply after consumption. This makes people want to eat more junk food.

The final reason junk food is unhealthy is that it raises cholesterol and triglyceride levels, both of which are big risk factors for heart disease. Furthermore, fats from fast food accumulate in the body over time, causing obesity. The more weight you gain, the more likely you are to have a heart attack.

Therefore, eating junk food can lead to several problems, including weight gain, depression, respiratory problems, and other health issues. Also, junk food can lead to short-term memory loss and a weaker brain. It is better to eat more healthily, including a diet of vegetables, fruits, and grains. 

Put down those French fries, and stay away from junk food at all costs!

Diana Voskanyan, Staff Writer
Diana is a senior at Glendale High School. She was a Nitro Way Leader in 2020, and her interests include watching movies, studying and walking.