The Seventeenth Championship

The Los Angeles Lakers are your 2020 NBA Champions! What an outstanding performance by the Lakers as they dominated the Miami Heat in the NBA Finals! With a near-perfect season, LeBron James successfully brought the NBA Championship back to Kobe’s town.

Having won their seventeenth championship, the Lakers are now tied with the Boston Celtics for most titles all-time. In 1949, the Minneapolis Lakers beat the Boston Celtics and achieved their first championship, and this was back when the league was called the Basketball Association of America (BAA). That team ended up winning a total of five titles, before the franchise moved to Los Angeles in 1958. Since then, the Lakers began their legacy and have successfully evolved into the franchise we know today.

Throughout Lakers history, many NBA Hall of Famers have played for the organization. Back from the 1960’s through the 1980’s, the Lakers had players such as Jerry West, Magic Johnson, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Many other great players helped the team in many ways. 

As many of us know, in the year 2000 the Lakers had Kobe Bryant and Shaquile O’Neal. The two won three championships together and had great career stats. Together they assembled a bond that would last forever.

In 2010, Bryant (who called himself The Black Mamba) proved to the world that he didn’t need Shaq. He proved the people that doubted his talent wrong by leading a team to two additional championships of his own, in 2009 and 2010. Those were the last titles the Lakers had accomplished for a full decade, until this season.. 

Earlier this year, Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gianna Bryant passed away due to a tragic helicopter crash. To this day, many fans are sending out their condolences to the Bryant family. During the Kobe Bryant memorial ceremony on February 24 at Staples Center, Lebron promised to finish the season “For Kobe”. In the end, LeBron kept his word and brought home another championship to Los Angeles. 

The Laker Nation went crazy when LeBron James signed a contract and came to LA. His first season with the Lakers did not go so well, so he decided to bring in New Orleans superstar Anthony Davis. Together they conquered the NBA and brought one more title to the Lakers trophy case.

Despite the obstacles life has thrown at us this year, the Lakers managed to dominate the 2020 NBA season. Lebron won his fourth ring and dedicated his trophy to Kobe in an emotional post-game speech. Now our Laker Nation will cheer on the LA Dodgers during the World Series. This would be the first time that both LA teams won a championship in the same year since 1988. This could potentially be one of the best years in sports for the city of Los Angeles.

Francisco Martinez
Francisco Martinez, Staff Writer
Francisco is a senior at Glendale High School. He is a former Construction student, and a member of the Journalism class. He is a good-looking man, who enjoys watching basketball and playing video games.