• May 31The Black Team defeats the Pink Team, 41-7, in the 2024 Powderpuff Football Game!
  • May 24Senior Lilit Arakelyan wins the 2024 Pat Navalonic Memorial Award! Lilit will be attending UCLA in the fall!
  • May 1Senior Alexis Cabral wins the 2024 Lancaster Prize, for her article "A Day Without a Phone"!

Modern Family

Everyday chaos with the extended Pritchett Family
Modern+Family

The humorous TV series Modern Family centers on three separate households. They all have ties to one another and offer us with varying perspectives on what family life is like. The three families’ daily lives are represented in each episode, and I enjoy this show, because it depicts the family members’ different personalities. 

In reality, this series portrays the humorous and enjoyable moments that all families experience. It shows how, despite facing challenging times, they all manage to provide support for one another in the end. 

Even though I think every character on the show is amazing, my personal favorite is Phil Dunphy, played by Ty Burrell. Phil’s three children are Haley (Sarah Hyland), Alex (Ariel Winter), and Luke (Nolan Gould), and he is married to Claire (Julie Bowen). 

Phil is well renowned for his silly sense of humor and youthful energy. He is a real estate agent, who aspires to be his children’s friend and a “cool dad” at all times. He is always trying to think of new methods to express himself to his kids, often with comical outcomes. 

Casting spells is one of Phil’s favorite activities. His attempts at impressing his family with his homemade magic tricks, which typically result in funny disasters, are motivated by his strong passion for magic.

Modern Family is sometimes perceived as simply a comedy program, but it’s much more than that. Throughout the seasons, the series teaches numerous valuable lessons, especially that family is the first and most important thing in life. 

This show highlights the value of family ties and the bonds that connect parents, kids, and extended family members. Being so close together as families helps them to succeed in all the things they do, and it shows an example for future generations on how to create such a healthy and positive environment for their own families.

This series focuses on the positive and negative aspects of family life, while demonstrating how love, acceptance, and support can help us through any difficult situation. It features a varied group of characters with a wide range of ages, personalities, and backgrounds. Watching Modern Family also teaches the value of acceptance and in embracing variety in all of its forms.

The twenty-second episode of Season 10, “A Year of Birthdays”, is definitely my favorite one overall. In this episode, the Pritchett-Dunphy-Tucker family members celebrate each other’s birthdays, over the course of an entire year. The scene where Hailey gives birth to her twins is my favorite. I adore how Mitch and Cam introduce their newborns to the family, in the same way that they did with Lily, accompanied by the song “The Circle of Life”.

This episode is told through a sequence of flashbacks, highlighting the birthday parties for Claire, Cam, Jay, Phil, Mitchell, and other people that have either been forgotten or not celebrated. Every flashback shows how the family members attempt to celebrate their birthdays in their own special, and occasionally chaotic, ways, which frequently leads to accidents and shocking revelations. Despite its humor, this entertaining episode illustrates the love and chaos that each birthday brings to the family.  

Overall, viewers should enjoy Modern Family because of its clever stories, sympathetic characters, and touching moments. This series is so enjoyable, because it approaches real-life problems in a humorous way. 

For those wanting a good laugh, and a reminder of the value of the people who matter most, Modern Family is a must-watch comedy that makes viewers feel connected and seen.

Melany Sargsyan
Melany Sargsyan, Staff Writer
Melany Sargsyan is a senior at Glendale High School. Her favorite things to do include baking, spending time with friends and going to the beach.