Natalie Mirzakhanyan Always Wins on the Court

Girl’s tennis captain has got her head in the game.

Natalie Mirzakhanyan is a 17-year-old senior who attends Glendale High School. She was born in Glendale, and she is currently the captain of the girl’s tennis team. Besides playing tennis, Natalie enjoys hanging out with her family and friends, watching Netflix, and going swimming. Outside of school, she plays tennis twice a week with a private coach. She’s been on the team since her freshman year and has been a starter on the varsity squad from the very beginning. 

What first got you into tennis?

My dad was the person who introduced me to the sport. We would go to the park when I was younger and hit the ball randomly until one day he thought I should start taking it more seriously. 

What struggles have you and your teammates faced this year?

The team and I faced a couple of challenges, one of them being that a few people on the team got injured, me being one of them. The recovery was a little hard, but in a matter of time, the team and I were back on track. 

This year was also a little emotional, considering it’s my last year ever playing on the team. Like all the other years, we have had our ups and downs, but we continued to try our best throughout the season.

How have you evolved as a tennis player since your freshman year?

I used to not be confident on the court. I was scared to lose, but I soon realized that you can never be afraid of losing. 

Natalie Mirzakhanyan (far right) poses with her teammates on Senior Day.

How did it feel when you became captain?

Becoming captain felt unreal. I was very excited, but also nervous, about all the responsibilities that came with it. I realized that this was becoming more serious when I was made captain and that to lead my teammates, I needed to try my best to be the best version of myself. 

How do you feel about your teammates, and what are you going to miss most about them?

I appreciate my teammates. I made new friends on the team every year, and as time went on, I grew closer to them. I made new relationships and friendships with people I never thought I would talk to. 

I love how encouraging and helpful we are to one another: always pushing one another to be the best versions of ourselves. Although I will miss regularly seeing my teammates, I am confident that our friendships will keep us in touch, no matter what. I still am in contact with the other team members from the previous years. 

How will tennis continue to be a part of your life in the future?

I don’t see myself quitting tennis anytime soon. I love the sport and it was the best way for me to relax and get my mind off of things. 

Natalie has been on an incredible journey as the girl’s tennis team captain. Overall, tennis is an excellent sport. It teaches you so many wonderful qualities, like discipline and working together. You discover new skills, meet new people, and form fun memories as time goes on. Playing tennis at a high level will also benefit you later on when colleges review your transcripts. 

If you are interested in joining the girl’s tennis team in the fall, you can contact Coach Jenks at [email protected].  

Melany Sargsyan
Melany Sargsyan, Staff Writer
Melany Sargsyan is a senior at Glendale High School. Her favorite things to do include baking, spending time with friends and going to the beach.