Mariam Brito Salazar Brings the Right Element to GHS!

Chemistry Club president wants to share her passion for science

Mariam Brito Salazar is a senior at Glendale High School. She was born in Glendale, but she grew up in México and the United States. Along with being the president of Chemistry Club, she is currently a member of CSF, NHS, and the Letters for Rose Club, and she has been a member of the our CIF State Champion girls varsity volleyball team for three years. In her free time, Mariam enjoys reading history books and science articles, playing sports with family and friends, and watching time-period TV series.

The GHS Chemistry Club aims to create a space for students to learn about chemistry outside of the classroom. During meetings, club members conduct experiments, such as the iodine clock reaction and DNA extraction from strawberries, and learn about the processes behind them. 

Mariam was inspired to start the Chemistry Club because she has always had a passion for the subject. Growing up, she recalls conducting simple experiments with her cousins in Mexico and bonding with her family members through chemistry. “I wanted others to have the same experiences I had, performing experiments outside of the classroom and engaging with the subject, and maybe they would like it,” she said.

Mariam’s favorite part about leading this club is being able to explain the science behind the experiments that they conduct. “My favorite part of all of this is doing the research of how the chemical reactions occur, and being able to share what I discovered through my research with the other members,” she claimed.

Mariam believes that chemistry is a fundamental part of every scientific field. “Chemistry is considered by many [to be] the central science because it’s this bridge between physics and biology,” she said. “Chemistry is the backbone of all the sciences, so if you understand chemistry, you will pretty much comprehend the world around you and how it behaves.” 

Mariam feels that this club will benefit students who want to major in a STEM field. Members may also simply want to learn more about the world around them and get involved with science by getting to know more about chemistry.

Mariam expressed that Chemistry Club has become an important part of her high school experience. When she first started this club during her junior year, she faced some struggles, due to her tough course load. Overall, she believes that being a club president has taught her accountability, patience, time management, and responsibility.

Currently, Mariam is planning for her club to donate school supplies to her old elementary school in Mexico. “Being here, [and] studying in the United States, made me realize how disadvantaged some people are and how benefitted we are in the United States, through our education system, compared to developing countries,” she said. “Through this club, I want to make a small impact on my hometown in Mexico.” Mariam is also planning to establish a $500 scholarship program within the club that will recognize an outstanding senior majoring in the STEM field.

In the future, Mariam plans to major in either molecular biology or international affairs, and her dream school is Princeton. She hopes that, after she graduates, the Chemistry Club will continue to make an impact on our school community. She wants the club to have a purpose, and she is currently looking for officers for next year.

If you are interested in joining the GHS Chemistry Club, you can message them on Instagram, at @ghschemistry, or email Ms. Jahshan at [email protected]. Meetings are every second and fourth Thursday of the month, in Room 4414. 

Keep mixing it up, Nitros!

Kate Enriquez
Kate Enriquez, Staff Writer
Kate is a junior at Glendale High School. They are the treasurer of Save the Seas Club, equipment manager and member of color guard, the girls volleyball team manager, and a member of WE Club. She enjoys reading, listening to music, hanging out with her friends, drinking coffee (she might be addicted), and trying to get enough sleep and stop procrastinating.