• May 1Senior Alexis Cabral wins 2024 Lancaster Prize, for her article "A Day Without a Phone"!

Movie Night Is a Success!

The bi-annual event is held in the gym for the first time.

On December 1, 2023, our Glendale High School ASB hosted a Movie Night in the large gym. This event has been traditionally held at Moyse Stadium, but it was moved to the gym, because the football field and track were being replaced. The featured film this time was 10 Things I Hate About You, the 1999 movie starring Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger. During the event, our ASB members were also selling delicious foods, snacks and drinks. 

A majority of students who attended Movie Night enjoyed the movie and the overall experience. However, some students had their own opinions and special ideas about the event itself. 

Kasya Moses, Junior Class President 

Movie Night is going great, actually! Customers have been coming in for the junior and senior class, so overall we are doing great selling. We are currently selling hot chocolate and nachos. Other classes are selling ramen, pizza and brownies. I am hoping that next year we will have more students coming by, but today has been a great time for all. 

The concessions were lit.

Shushanik Grigoryan, freshman

Today I am here with my friends. The movie is going very well. It’s really fun being with friends and watching the movie at school, and as a freshman, GHS has been really good so far. I like all my classes and have made new friends along the way. All my friends really enjoyed…Movie Night!

Eliana Bautista, sophomore

It was so amazing! Such a fun experience with all my friends! [10 Things I Hate About You] was the perfect kind of movie for our age group, because it was very funny and relatable to many. 

I think that next year, we can have…Movie Night [on] the football field, because it was more enjoyable. I think too many people were packed in one gym where I could barely find a place to sit with my friends. But overall the movie was great. 

Breanna Lee, Freshman Class President

Today we are selling donuts. I have not been able to really see the movie, but it looks really fun. For next year’s Movie Night, I do not think we will be selling donuts, because it does not seem to be as big of a hit as I thought it would. So there were definitely pros and cons of doing this and [I am learning] a lot of new things.

Marina Orozco, senior

I came here with my best friend. The movie was good, but honestly for this season, I would enjoy watching a Christmas movie. But maybe next year, students can get to vote on the movie they want to watch, and hopefully, it’s outside [on] the football field. 

Everyone loves movies!

Sophia Tshabourian, Sophomore Class Publicist

For this year’s Movie Night, we are selling pizza and brownies. I was just very excited for this year’s Movie Night, because I love the movie 10 Things I Hate About You. For next year, I hope we are able to do Movie Night on the field, because I feel like it’s more fun. It’s so pretty watching the sky outside with friends while watching a fun movie.  

Queen Sona Postajian, Junior Class Advisor

It was very fun. Unfortunately, because I was helping with the event, I didn’t get to watch too much. But I love these kinds of events, because I think it’s a fun way for students to have time outside of school hours interacting with each other. 

One recommendation I have for next year is that maybe we should do a poll to have the students vote on what movie they want to watch. 

Overall, it was a great evening for most of those who attended, and it was a fun way to connect with other GHS students outside of school hours. This Movie Night was a success, and it left all of the students excited for the next one, which will be held on March 1, 2024. You can go HERE to vote for which movie you’d like to see!

See you all at the movies, Nitros!

Sofya Ghazaryan
Sofya Ghazaryan, Staff Writer
Sofya is a sophomore at Glendale High School and a member of the Nitro volleyball team. She loves spending time with her boyfriend, friends and family. She enjoys watching Netflix and playing beach volleyball and tennis.