Garine Melkonian Is Here for the Leadership and Compassion

Our Make-A-Wish Club and Senior Class President is empowering change on our campus and in our community

Garine Melkonian is a senior at Glendale High School. She is the president of the Class of 2024 and the Make-A-Wish Club. She is also the co-president of the GHS Gardening Club, and she is a member of our girl’s varsity tennis team. 

Garine’s hobbies outside of school include singing and playing tennis. Although there is a lot of work that comes with her roles at school, she enjoys being Senior Class President, where she leads her class council members through meetings and plans senior events and fundraisers. Garine’s goal is to help the Class of 2024 make the most of their senior year, and she hopes to start new traditions that future classes will follow. 

When Garine first came to GHS, she decided to join ASB, because she wanted to experience the behind-the-scenes aspects of school events and fundraisers. She started as the class publicist during her freshman year at home. She then continued as class secretary during her sophomore year, and during her junior year, she became the class vice president. 

Garine gained confidence over the years and decided to take on the role of Senior Class President. She has experienced many different leadership opportunities in her life, but by far, being president is the most special one to her, because this is her final year of high school. 

Garine’s goal as the president of the Class of 2024 is to unify the class and make their senior year the most fun and memorable one possible. She plans on holding different activities and fundraisers for our seniors. 

Garine has good organizational skills, and she is open to everyone voicing their opinions. She feels that promoting rallies, events, and games is the best way to bring school spirit and unity among our Nitro student body, and she hopes that this will create a positive environment for all.

A challenge for Garine is trying to include everyone’s ideas and to come up with a way for everyone to agree with each other. Another challenge is balancing the planning process for each event. However, with the support of her peers and the members of the senior class council, the planning gets easier. 

Garine is excited about the Senior Prom in particular, which will be held at the Santa Anita Racetrack on May 18, 2024. Planning it alone is already very exciting for her, so she can’t wait for the actual event to occur. She is also looking forward to our Spring and Farewell Rallies and Grad Nite on June 7th. 

Additionally, Garine has been a member of the Make-A-Wish Club since her freshman year. She is committed to being president of the Make-A-Wish Club because of the incredible impact that the organization has had on the lives of children with critical illnesses. 

The club works to grant children’s wishes, by sending letters and bringing them joy and hope during their challenging times. This mission has inspired Garine to help make children happy. She also hopes that people will volunteer and join the club, and they will commit to bringing positivity into the lives of these children in need.

The Make-A-Wish Club relies on the kindness and generosity of the community to continue making a difference. By joining or supporting this club, you can participate in the joy and happiness of the children they help. Garine is committed to making dreams come true and creating a positive lasting impact on her community. 

If you are interested in joining the Make-A-Wish Club, follow them on Instagram: @ghsmakeawish. You should also follow the Class of 2024 Instagram account, for updates on senior activities and events: @glendalehigh_classof2024!

Sofya Ghazaryan
Sofya Ghazaryan, Staff Writer
Sofya is a sophomore at Glendale High School and a member of the Nitro volleyball team. She loves spending time with her boyfriend, friends and family. She enjoys watching Netflix and playing beach volleyball and tennis.