• May 1Senior Alexis Cabral wins 2024 Lancaster Prize, for her article "A Day Without a Phone"!

Angelica Gamboa Wants to Spread Positivity

Our Body Positivity Club president knows that nobody is perfect.

We’ve all had those moments of insecurity, right? 

Angelica Gamboa, a junior at Glendale High School, was born and raised here in Glendale, and she loves to stay active. “I have always had a love for running and jumping since I was little,” she said. “So I’ve been [on the track team] since freshman year, and I plan to continue until senior year.” 

Angelica is currently captain of the GHS track and jump teams, but her passions don’t stop there. “I also share a love of cooking,” she admitted. “I’ve done five, and almost six, years of culinary classes and courses, ranging from middle school to high school currently.”

Angelica said the GHS Body Positivity Club was created by Jamie Boman, a senior who graduated from GHS last year. “I really liked her club, because it really stood out to me,” Angelica said. “Body positivity… is something I go for and strongly believe [in].” Some might say that Angelica has been involved with the club since the beginning, as she was one of the first people that helped Jamie collect signatures for the petition to start the club. 

Jamie saw Angelica’s dedication to the Body Positivity Club last year, and because of this, she wanted to elect Angelica as president. “I was always active in the club, and always voicing my thoughts,” Angelica admitted. “And [I] really made sure everyone was comfortable, and [Jamie] really liked my commitment to the club.” Angelica viewed this as an honor and was excited to take over. She is now looking for someone to take over the club from her next year

Angelica believes that her club serves a vital purpose on our campus. “We don’t wake up one day and are like, ‘Oh, I’m perfect.’ We do have our moments and vulnerabilities of seeing ourselves in a different light.,“ she said. “If there was a way I could help spread body positivity, and change that negative mindset, and help people really see that they’re perfect, they’re enough, I was all for it.” 

Angelica uses the words “passion and determination” to describe how she feels about, not only her club, but also the concept of body positivity in general. And somehow, even though she is also a member of the Red Cross Club, she still finds a way to balance it all. 

Angelica enjoys posting affirmations on her Instagram. If it relates to body positivity, she will be posting it. “My club, we’re the group that always compliments people,” she confirmed. “When we see people having a bad day, we always comfort them. We also spread affirmations around.” If someone compliments you on campus, it’s likely that they’re a part of the Body Positivity Club. 

Angelica has big plans for her club members this year. “The girl [whom] I was interested in…taking over the club next year, she brought up a really good idea of visiting an elementary or a middle school and visiting the kids and spreading body positivity” she said. “Or [we can] just give them affirmations, like a fun arts and crafts project, like a self-portrait. Since they’re at a young age, [we can] make sure that they know and [are] aware that they’re beautiful.”  

If you’d like to join the Body Positivity Club, email Ms. Lisa Keefer at [email protected], or you can follow them on Instagram: @body.positivityclub. Stay positive, Nitros!

Caleb Valencia
Caleb Valencia, Staff Writer
Caleb is a freshman at Glendale High School. He is a Nitro Press staff member, and he plays the alto saxophone in the GHS marching band. He loves listening to music and procrastinating.