• May 1Senior Alexis Cabral wins 2024 Lancaster Prize, for her article "A Day Without a Phone"!

Natali Manual Is Knitting Her Life Together

Crochet Club just might be the next big thing
Natali Manual (center) and her Crochet Club members

Natali Manual, a sophomore at Glendale High School, is fifteen years old, and she was born in Syria but raised in the United States. She moved to America when she was three years old. 

Natali enjoys walking with her family, hanging out with her friends, and playing with her little cousin. She is also the founder and president of the Crochet Club at GHS. Natali actually takes crochet orders, so during her free time that’s what she does to keep herself entertained. 

What made you want to start this club?

The whole reason I wanted to start this club was because, in middle school, I actually joined a club just like this, and it inspired me to make one here at GHS. Especially since now I’m more advanced, I would want to teach others, who don’t know all about crocheting, [and] how to do it.

What do you enjoy most about crocheting?

I enjoy the stitches and how detailed the process is. I think that there are so many ideas that people could use and turn into something great by learning or choosing to crochet.

What happens during your club meetings?

For the first club meeting, I had a PowerPoint of what you need: my rules, basically what the club is about, and what I expect you to do by the end. As we move on, we will go into more advanced stitches, and by the end of this club, everyone should be able to crochet without looking at videos or patterns.

How do you feel about being the president of the crochet club so far? 

It’s fun! However, it can also get very overwhelming, because there are a lot of responsibilities of taking care of the club, and making sure that people have a good time, and that they feel comfortable in the environment.

How will this club benefit other GHS students, and why should they join? 

This club will benefit GHS students by teaching them how to crochet, and in the future, they could even start their own business that could help them make a living. The environment is also very calm and relaxing, and we make sure everyone feels like they belong.

What other information about this club should GHS students know?

People should know that this club is for everyone. I don’t have any preferences of gender, race, [or] anything like that. It’s also just a safe space for anyone who would like just to come and express their feelings and have a break from their everyday lives.

Where do you see yourself after graduating from GHS? 

In a couple of years after graduating from GHS, I see myself going to [a] university and getting my major in criminal justice, becoming a criminal investigator, and just pursuing what I love.

You should definitely check out the Crochet Club! Their meetings are on Wednesdays from 3:35 to 4:45, in Room 2239. Contact their club advisor, Ms. Castel De Oro, at [email protected]. And you can follow Crochet Club on Instagram: @croc_het2024.

Emma Torosyan
Emma Torosyan, Staff Writer
Emma is a freshman at Glendale High School. She likes to read, write, listen to music and watch rom-coms. She plays volleyball all year round and skis during the winter.