• May 31The Black Team defeats the Pink Team, 41-7, in the 2024 Powderpuff Football Game!
  • May 24Senior Lilit Arakelyan wins the 2024 Pat Navalonic Memorial Award! Lilit will be attending UCLA in the fall!
  • May 1Senior Alexis Cabral wins the 2024 Lancaster Prize, for her article "A Day Without a Phone"!

Don’t Choose the Mob Life on Social Media!

Glamorizing the wrong influences is bad for everybody

A dangerous reality often becomes people’s dreams.

In today’s media-obsessed world, it’s hard to miss the growing attention surrounding the so-called “mob life” aesthetic. What was once portrayed as gritty and dangerous has undergone a significant transformation, now depicted as glamorous and stylish. This shift in representation raises questions about the impact of glamorizing criminal behavior, especially on the minds of young people.

Consider some of the most iconic mobster characters in film and television history, such as Tony Soprano from The Sopranos or Michael Corleone from The Godfather series. These characters show off charm, confidence, and sophistication, often portrayed in luxurious settings surrounded by wealth and power. Their lifestyle, complete with extravagant parties, lavish mansions, and tailored suits, has become linked with a certain kind of coolness and status.

The rise of social media has played a significant role in increasing the glamorization of mob life. Influencers and content creators, on platforms like Instagram and TikTok, create feeds and promote the style and attitude of fictional mob bosses. They post photos and videos posing with luxury cars, designer clothing, and stacks of cash, creating an illusion of power and success. Hashtags like #MobBoss or #GangsterLife attract thousands of followers, further fueling the trend of romanticizing organized crime.

Fashion trends also contribute to the glamorization of mob culture. From pinstripe suits and fedora hats to gold chains and cufflinks, elements of mobster style have found their way into mainstream fashion. Brands capitalize on this trend by offering clothing lines and accessories inspired by the mafia aesthetic, appealing to consumers who are eager to take the look of their favorite mob characters.

According to The New York Times, there’s also a trend going on all over TikTok and Instagram, glamorizing the “mob wife” aesthetic, in which influencers wear fur coats and cover themselves in jewels. However, in movies and shows, the “mob wife” look might seem all about fancy clothes and luxury living. But underneath that surface, there’s often a whole lot of drama going on. 

Romanticizing these relationships doesn’t show the truth about how toxic they can be. It’s important to remember that healthy relationships are what we should be aiming for, not ones filled with drama and manipulation.

Furthermore, beneath the surface of glitz and glamor lies a harsh reality. Organized crime is not merely a glamorous lifestyle but a brutal and often deadly ending. The mafia thrives on violence, intimidation, and exploitation, preying on the vulnerable and causing fear and suffering within urban communities. Behind closed doors, there are no luxurious parties, only the coldness of power and control.

You might notice a trend among teenage boys, too. Some of them are super into the whole mafia vibe, wearing all the gangster movie merch and thinking it makes them look cool. 

But it’s important to understand that mimicking the mobster style doesn’t make someone tough or admirable. In reality, it’s just playing dress-up, and it’s essential to remember that being truly cool means being true to yourself and treating others with respect, especially when what you are admiring is linked with illegal organized crime.

When mob life is portrayed as glamorous, especially to young people, it can have serious consequences. By romanticizing criminal behavior, it blurs the line between right and wrong, making it seem acceptable to pursue wealth and status through illegal means. This normalization of crime can desensitize individuals to the real-world consequences of their actions, leading them to believe that breaking the law is admirable rather than harmful.

In the end, while the image of the “mob life” may seem irresistible, it’s important for people to recognize the dangers of this aesthetic. Behind the scenes of all the luxury and power lies a world of violence, corruption, and exploitation. 

Instead of glamorizing crime, we should strive to understand its true impact and work towards building a society based on principles of justice, equality, and integrity. Only then can we truly break free from the image and dangers of mob glamor and embrace a future guided by values that uplift rather than exploit.

Emma Torosyan
Emma Torosyan, Staff Writer
Emma is a freshman at Glendale High School. She likes to read, write, listen to music and watch rom-coms. She plays volleyball all year round and skis during the winter.