• May 1Senior Alexis Cabral wins 2024 Lancaster Prize, for her article "A Day Without a Phone"!

Onyx Camacho: Spinner of All

Color guard co-captain can spin with the wind!

Senior Onyx Camacho was born in Glendale, and they grew up here and in Mexico. They enjoy crocheting, drawing, and sculpting. And while they do enjoy watching TV shows, they also love hiking outdoors. Onyx also really loves color guard, and after the hard times of COVID-19, this team has provided a welcoming family for them to be a part of. 

Onyx has a lot of memories from color guard. Round Up, games, rallies, and other school events have been some of the best parts of their high school experience. Onyx explains that color guard is a “performance sport”, where they use “dance, rifles, flags, and sabers to tell a story.” The team has two seasons: one where the members of the color guard perform with a band during football season, and another where it’s just them competing against other color guard teams.

Onyx is co-captain of the GHS color guard, and they said that “being a captain is an honor I’m very grateful for.” They were able to learn things on this team that “no academic class could teach.” 

Onyx believes that color guard teaches you how to lead, think outside the box, and be a team player, no matter your position on the team. Being a captain has taught them “perseverance and ambition”, and Onyx feels that even though they are a captain, they are still part of the team, regardless of status. 

Onyx admits that the team has been through some interesting issues. GHS as a whole has been through so many problems. Similarly, the whole color guard team, with Onyx at the helm, has had to deal with problematic coaches and team members. When asked how these issues have affected them, Onyx said that they are “grateful for them, to a certain extent.” They said that the team “grew stronger together” and it made them a family.

Onyx describes color guard as something “more than a sport”. It’s a chance to grow, even when in the middle of a show. If you have a trick you want to try, whether it’s a dance step or any piece of equipment, everyone can contribute. The color guard gives you the chance to express yourself. 

Onyx said that they joined the team, because “my friend got a flier in their P.E. class, and they thought that flags, rifles, and sabers sounded really cool.” Onyx doesn’t need the guard team to place first every time; they just need their team to feel successful. Onyx said that they would love it if “everyone gave it their all”, and they are going to do their best to make it happen. 

Onyx wants nothing but success for their team, and they hope that they can prepare future leadership to do the job that needs to be done. Our GHS color guard squad is an amazing team with two amazing co-captains, and the future looks bright. 

As for Onyx themselves, they don’t really have a plan for the future. They want to be a tattoo artist at the moment, but they aren’t married to the idea. Whatever they choose to do, they’re gonna be great! 

Onyx also wants to give an honorable mention to Danielle Ramos, their co-captain, and to the entire GHS color guard team. Keep flying that flag, Nitros!

Joshua Flint
Joshua Flint, Staff Writer
Joshua is a junior at Glendale High School. He is the vice president of the marching band and a member of color guard, and he is also the vice president of the Debate Club. He likes reading science fiction, practicing new tricks for color guard, and playing video games.