Mr. Gonzalez Brings that Engineering Magic to Physics

From USDA to GHS!

Mr. Adrian Gonzalez was born in Durango, Mexico, and he eventually attended Cal Poly Pomona. He enjoys going camping and anything else related to nature. 

Previously, Mr. Gonzalez worked for the United States Department of Agriculture as an Agricultural Engineer, but due to the recession, he decided to go into teaching. 

Fortunately, he very much enjoyed it, working for three years at Roosevelt High School and over ten years at Morningside High School, before ultimately coming to GHS. He currently teaches physics and has high hopes for his students.

What would you say are some difficult aspects of teaching?

Maybe when some students are not motivated. You want to get them to be motivated, especially students that are not focused in class. [At my previous school], it was more struggling for me, because over there I had ninth graders. 

Here, I only have eleventh and twelfth graders, so they’re already more settled, deciding whether they want to proceed on to college, compared to at Morningside. I had ninth graders [at the school], so they were barely entering high school. So it was a little bit more [of a]struggle with them, compared to eleventh and twelfth graders.

What are your favorite parts of being a teacher?

Since I’m an engineer, I enjoy teaching science and mathematics.

Is there anything you wish you could change about the school system?

I don’t know how it is here in Glendale, but over in Morningside, I would have liked to achieve getting more parents involved in their children’s education. Sort of to push them, so they could become something in life. So getting parental involvement [is something I wish I could change].

Do you have any advice for GHS students trying to get into the engineering field?

First, you need to consider, if students enjoy mathematics, then go for it. But if you’re struggling with mathematics, you need to become accustomed to solving mathematical engineering problems, so you don’t want to go into [that] field unless you enjoy doing mathematics.

How do you feel about your future at GHS?

I mean, it’s been my first couple of weeks, and I’ve been enjoying it. Students are very respectful and they get their work done, so that’s an advantage as well.

Do you have any hopes for the school year?

I expect my students to learn as much as possible from what I’m teaching. Therefore, I encourage them to ask any questions if they have any doubts about any science or mathematical concepts.

Do you have any final comments about the school?

I mean, it’s a nice school, although it’s different from where I was, but up to now, everything has been excellent. My neighbor teachers have been very helpful in explaining everything to me about the campus, and helping me out in any way to be comfortable within this environmental setting.

Any last things you want GHS students and faculty to know?

Right now, I’m teaching physics, but I’m also credentialed to teach mathematics. So if they need me for mathematics, I’m also available [for] tutoring.

If you’re ever near the 6000 building, stop by Mr. Gonzalez’s classroom, 6309, if you need help with math or science. Or you can simply say hello!

Tomas Morales Valles
Tomas Morales Valles, Staff Writer
Tomas is a senior at Glendale High School, who is very obsessed with the 70's band Queen. He is a part of the yearbook and journalism staffs, as well as a member of some other clubs on campus. Tomas is very proud of his culture and hates being called a “no sabo kid.” His hobbies include being a mediocre chef, weight lifting, singing (badly), and playing a variety of instruments, such as piano and guitar.