Ginny & Georgia, Season 1

The Netflix original may be a hit, but you can skip it.

Ginny & Georgia is a comedic drama, created by Sarah Lampert, that was first released on Netflix in 2021. This show follows the relationship of a feisty daughter named Ginny, played by Antonia Gentry, and her mother, Georgia, played by Brianne Howey, and the hardships they face after coming to live in a new town.

There are serious topics discussed throughout the first season of the series, such as depression, self-harm, microaggressions, and even body dysmorphia. However, despite the importance of these issues, this season is not worth your binge time.

Season 1 starts off with Ginny, Georgia, and her brother, Austin, moving into the New England town of Wellsbury. This is where things start to get a little interesting 

But first we have to talk about the cringe. There are some parts of the show that are just so awful that it’s kind of astonishing that they shot these scenes and nobody on set said anything. For instance, the members of MANG, Ginny’s friend group, are just terrible. All the things they do are so cringy. Plus they are so bluntly racist towards Ginny, and nothing is ever said about it. They just brush over it. 

Another embarrassing thing that occurs is the tap dance that Hunter performs for Ginny. This scene is so hard to watch that it is overall laughable. 

Then there are the different romances depicted during this season. They are all very uncomfortable and very cliched. There were several times when I had a hard time looking at the screen, especially when Hunter kept sending Ginny those weird Snapchats.

I think the entirety of this first season is one big mess. They start up so many plot lines that eventually become way too hard to follow. This is not to mention how some of them drag on for way too long. For example, the whole break-up of Ginny’s friend group goes on forever. They are all mad at each other and act so selfishly towards one another, and this “friendship breakup” lasts from the end of Season 1 into the beginning of Season 2. 

The character development on this show is also so mediocre. The whole MANG friend group is so selfish and they never stop being that way. Sure they apologize and have some sincere moments, but they always go back to their selfish ways. Similarly, the character of Marcus has this stand-offish personality, which only starts to change in the second season. 

Another problem is the numerous complex romantic storylines. These side plots are aggravating, because it’s tiring to see the characters’ irresponsible decisions played out over and over again. 

On the other hand, the one thing that makes this show a little better than others is how it dramatizes the serious topics that I mentioned earlier. The actors really convey how important these topics are, and they are dealt with in such a truthful way. Any audience members who aren’t very educated on these issues will also be made more aware of them. 

Overall, this show is not worth watching. You can definitely find better Netflix original programming to watch, like The Wonder and Gilmore Girls.  

I suppose that you could watch this series for yourself, to better understand why it’s so bad. But I would recommend that you just skip this series entirely and save yourself from the pain of having to close your laptop every five minutes out of disgust.

Check back here tomorrow, for our review of Season 2!

Aniella Pieprzyca, Editor-in-Chief
Aniella is a junior at Glendale High School. She is on the track team and is very excited to compete this year. In her free time, she likes going to concerts, watching Netflix, and hanging out with her friends. She is also very excited for journalism this year.