What Can You Do About Homelessness?

How high school students can help those people in need
What Can You Do About Homelessness?

Homelessness has always been a big issue, but we don’t often speak up about it.

Homelessness is a rising problem in Glendale and in the state of California. California has one of the largest homeless populations in the U.S. and we should do something to stop the numbers from rising. 

You might be thinking what you can do to help the homeless population in your community. Well, there are some things that we can do to show that we care about people in need and that we will try our best to look out for them.  

According to Medline Plus, some of the most common reasons that people become homeless are substance abuse, mental disorders, unemployment, or a lack of affordable housing. It is important to mention that some teens also become homeless. 

The safety of homeless people is very concerning. The problems that they face are major health concerns, gang violence, and unsanitary living conditions. Now with the difficulties of COVID-19, these living conditions can cause death. Some people might think that our homeless population should simply go stay at homeless shelters, and while some of them do, they can only stay for up to 30 days at a time. These shelters are therefore helpful, but they are definitely not enough. 

The little kind things that you do in your life always count. 

One little thing that you as a high schooler can do to help out is by bringing food, water, and blankets to our homeless population. And on rainy days, you can maybe give up one of your umbrellas, because standing in the cold is the worst, but standing in the rain is torture. Although this might not seem like a lot, it is a huge deal to them. 

You can also donate money to or volunteer at a shelter or a facility that helps homeless people get off the streets. Some of these organizations include the Red Cross, Ascencia, and The Salvation Army

If you are really passionate about helping out in your community, think about volunteering your time and resources to help the people who need it. Any high school student can help out, little by little, so that our homeless population can have food, shelter and a sense of dignity. 

Even though the homeless crisis in our city may seem insurmountable, your small actions can make a huge difference in the lives of others.

Aniella Pieprzyca
Aniella Pieprzyca, Editor-in-Chief
Aniella is a junior at Glendale High School. She is on the track team and is very excited to compete this year. In her free time, she likes going to concerts, watching Netflix, and hanging out with her friends. She is also very excited for journalism this year.