Fortnite: Save the World

Check out this hidden gem of a game

Many people know Fortnite for its “Battle Royale” mode, where 100 people drop onto an island and fight until only one player or team survives. But the game mode that has been mostly forgotten about by the majority of the community is Save the World

Fortnite was released by the studio named People Can Fly, and in actuality Fortnite: Save the World was launched first. It is an amalgamation of many genres, but the main selling points are its “defend the objective” and “tower defense” features.  The game is mainly about collecting resources in the missions and using those resources to create an obstacle course for the AI zombies or Husks, so that they cannot reach the defense objective. 

The game follows a simple narrative. The world has been devastated by the “storm,” which turns people into husks. The tone of the story is lighthearted and funny most of the time. Your goal as the player is to follow the questline to make bases for the survivors of the storm. You also create beacons which repel the storm so that you can increase the safe zone for the bases.

There are different types of Husks that have different roles. The easiest ones are just the regular Husks, which are easy-to-kill zombies but are also fast enough to catch you. There are Huskies, which are slower but take much longer to eliminate. There are also Pitchers, that throw bones at you from a distance, and Bee Hive Husks, which just have bee hives on their heads and leave circles of bees where they walk that will damage a player over time.

There are also special types of creatures called “Mist Monsters”,  which all have special abilities. For example, a Smasher is a big bullet sponge that charges itself at walls and destroys them. A Taker is a flying monster that charges at players and deals a heavy amount of damage. A Flinger throws regular Husks over the obstacle course straight to the objective, and the Blaster shoots from a far distance and, if taken too lightly, will be the reason for a failed mission.

The game also has a class system, where you can choose between multiple ways of playing the game. If you are an old-school type of player, just play as soldiers who empower their guns and have plenty of abilities for combat. If you like engaging in head-on combat, you can play as a ninja and utilize the multitude of close-combat weapons. On the other hand, if you are looking to make it easier to collect resources, or you would like to use gadgets to fight enemies, there are Outlanders. And last but not least, if you want to empower your building so it lasts longer, you can use Constructors who can do exactly that. Each of the classes has its own abilities and play styles, with each of the characters having special perks that help with the way you can play.

Every mission starts off with you getting deployed to the certain location that you chose previously. Pretty much anything on the map can be destroyed, from the buildings to the roads. After gathering enough resources, you get to your defense objective, and you build around it so that Husks cannot destroy it. You as a player can also use traps to fight off the hordes of Husks, and you can also just use your regular weapons, that range from assault rifles to swords.

Fortnite: Save the World is definitely the type of game you would play if you want to pass the time and have fun, and it is very casual and allows you to play creatively. The community at large is also very nice and helpful.

For the cost of the game, which is usually $14.99, you don’t only get the full game, but you also get the premium currency and a skin. And although the game has not received a big update in two years, there have been rumors of it starting to get back on its tracks. So it is all a good value. If you are looking for a game to relax in just play away, Fortnite: Save the World might be just the thing for you.

Maxim Arutunian
Maxim Arutunian, Staff Writer
Maxim is a senior at Glendale High School. Currently he is a leader on the GHS track & field team, and he helps the newbies to get comfortable in the sport. His favorite hobby is to play video games, which are a big part of who he is.