Katherine Phan Is Helping Her Community One Meal at a Time

Hunger Heroes president uses her passion for cooking to serve those in need in Glendale

Born and raised in Glendale, Katherine Phan is a senior at Glendale High School. She likes to spend her time listening to music or cooking in the kitchen. She also plays piano and is on the varsity volleyball team here at GHS. Katherine is also the club president of Hunger Heroes.

Katherine first got involved in Hunger Heroes last year as a way of helping others who were struggling through the pandemic. She already had a hobby of cooking and baking, so she saw it as the perfect fit for her.

The club focuses on helping homeless shelters by fundraising, preparing meals, and volunteering. The club is perfect for students who need community service hours, who want to make a difference in their community, or who maybe have an interest in cooking. 

Club meetings are typically spent brainstorming ideas or discussing any available volunteer opportunities. These opportunities range from group to individual projects, catering to everyone’s needs and schedules. Volunteering is usually at a nearby shelter, oftentimes preparing meals. During the span of the pandemic, volunteering wasn’t an available option, but now with a proof of vaccination, everyone can help out. 

Along with the limitations of the pandemic, the club has seen a decrease in membership. Katherine plans to turn the club back around with lots of new members and activities. Being a part of Hunger Heroes allows members to help their community, while also bonding with other students. 

Katherine particularly likes organizing all the events and being able to help those in a time of need. After GHS, Katherine hopes to attend UCLA as an undergrad. 

If you are interested in joining Hunger Heroes, please join the Remind: @glenhh2122. Or you can contact club advisor, Mrs. Keefer, at [email protected]!

Eloisa Campos
Eloisa Campos, Staff Writer
Eloisa is a junior at Glendale High school. She likes to spend her time baking, listening to music and drinking boba.