• May 1Senior Alexis Cabral wins 2024 Lancaster Prize, for her article "A Day Without a Phone"!

Pink Friday 2, Nicki Minaj

“Memories don’t live like people do. They’ll always remember you.”
Pink Friday 2, Nicki Minaj

The Queen of Rap never ceases to surprise us.

Nicki Minaj’s newest album Pink Friday 2, was produced by multiple artists, including FINNEAS, Boi-1da, and ATL Jacob. You can find the full album now on Spotify or Apple Music. 

Overall, this album is great. It has a bit of everything for everyone and a good back-and-forth balance of fast and slow songs.  

Pink Friday 2, if you couldn’t tell, is the long-awaited sequel to the album that launched Minaj’s career. And to no one’s surprise, it has been doing very well and made it to #1 on the US Billboard 200

This album was supposed to be Minaj going back to her musical roots, when the original Pink Friday came out. Instead, it is like the old album has been translated for today’s musical tastes.

Nicki Minaj has been an artist for a long time, and she has worked more than hard enough to be where she is in her career. She also has been through a lot and is not scared to talk about these experiences in her music. She is not just a music artist, but a storyteller. 

The fifth song on the album is “Fallin 4 U”, which has a nice strong and exciting buildup, a good hook and catchy lyrics. Minaj is known for her vulgar lyrics, but if you can see past them, this is a great song. I’d even say that it’s a modern love song.

A really good song to play when you want to feel confident is “Big Difference”. This track features nice wordplay and a good beat overall. Again, Minaj delivers some vulgar but very uplifting lyrics. This song was also teased when she performed on MTV, and this created even more excitement for the new album.

“Last Time I Saw You” is a peaceful and emotional song. This is a track that’ll put you in your feelings when you need to be. It’s one of the poppier and rhyme-heavy songs on the album, and it’s definitely one of my faves. 

Unfortunately, the weakest song on the album is “Forward From Trini”. The beat isn’t that enjoyable and the way that the performers are speaking is confusing and kind of unintelligible. It honestly feels like a filler song for the album. But if you know Minaj, you know she’s Trinidadian, so I’m sure the song holds some place in her heart.

The final track on the album, “Just The Memories”, is also my personal favorite. The beat starts out relaxing, and then the drums bring it all together. This song is so powerful, because Minaj reveals her vulnerability here, and it just makes me feel more connected to her. It shows how emotional and how much of a storyteller the artist can be.  

Ultimately, the amazing storyteller and rapper, Nicki Minaj, has led us to a full-circle moment. Whether you’d like to listen to this triumphant return to form is up to you, but I think you should give it a listen. If you’d like to hear what Minaj has to say, or if you just like her music, then this is the album for you.

Caleb Valencia
Caleb Valencia, Staff Writer
Caleb is a freshman at Glendale High School. He is a Nitro Press staff member, and he plays the alto saxophone in the GHS marching band. He loves listening to music and procrastinating.