Where the Crawdads Sing

There has been a murder in the marshes of North Carolina

On July 15, 2022, the movie Where the Crawdads Sing was released on Netflix. The film is based on a book of the same name, and it was directed by Olivia Newman, produced by Reese Witherspoon and Lauren Levy Nuestadter, and written by Delia Owens.

This film definitely does a great job of representing different genres, including romance, drama, coming-of-age, thriller, and mystery. The movie has become one of my favorites to watch by far. I love the way that it has been directed, and I like the acting among the characters. I truly recommend that you watch this movie, especially if you’re bored and need something to do. 

It starts off with a girl named Catherine “Kya” Clark (Daisy Edgar-Jones), but everyone calls her the “Marsh Girl.” She has grown up without any parents, siblings, guidance, or knowledge. Her abusive, alcoholic father and mother both left her when she was just a little girl, and even her siblings have abandoned her as well.  

Kya eventually meets a caring boy named Tate Walker (Taylor John Smith). They become very close friends, and he is the one that teaches Kya to read, write, and count. 

Slowly throughout their friendship, they both start to have feelings for each other and fall into a romantic relationship for a while. After a couple of months, Tate goes to college and promises to come back to visit Kya on the Fourth of July, but he breaks his promise and doesn’t show up. This causes a separation between them. 

Eventually, Kya becomes involved in another relationship with a popular local quarterback, named Chase Andrews (Harris Dickinson). When Chase dies under mysterious circumstances, Kya becomes the prime suspect.

Eventually, Kya becomes involved in another relationship with a popular local quarterback, named Chase Andrews. When Chase dies under mysterious circumstances, Kya becomes the prime suspect. 

This movie is really terrific, but the ending is truly amazing. I honestly didn’t expect the ending to be like that at all. But other than that, you will enjoy the experience of watching it, getting to know the characters, and seeing who they really are. 

The two best characters in the film are definitely Kya and Tate. Kya is definitely not a social person, and she enjoys just staying at home or by the lake. But something special about her is that she can draw really well. After learning how to read and write, she is eventually able to write her own book. This definitely shows a huge progress in her life, and it makes her discover more things that she is able to do. 

Tate is so thoughtful and caring with others, but he is also very loving with Kya. As younger kids, Kya and Tate live close to each other but never interact with one another. When Tate first sees Kya, he really likes her, but she overcomes her shyness and eventually starts to get friendly with him. 

Besides the romance, there is definitely a lot of drama in the movie. Tate and Kya fight and break up, and the same thing happens between her and Chase. However, Kya finds out that Chase has been cheating and is engaged with another woman. But the most intense aspect of the film is the murder mystery, with the death of Chase, and Kya being arrested for his murder, even though she is innocent and framed. 

If you’re interested in these kinds of movies, or if you’re just bored and want something new and different, you should definitely consider watching Where the Crawdads Sing with your family and friends! And you should also check out the novel version of the story, which you can find now at Amazon and from Barnes and Noble.

Erica Hovanesian
Erica Hovanesian, Spotlight Editor
Erica is a sophomore at Glendale High School, and she is a part of the JV girls soccer team. This is her second year as a member of the journalism class, and she is hoping to continue this class through her senior year. Some of the hobbies are playing sports, such as soccer and swimming, reading, listening to music, and crocheting.