• May 31The Black Team defeats the Pink Team, 41-7, in the 2024 Powderpuff Football Game!
  • May 24Senior Lilit Arakelyan wins the 2024 Pat Navalonic Memorial Award! Lilit will be attending UCLA in the fall!
  • May 1Senior Alexis Cabral wins the 2024 Lancaster Prize, for her article "A Day Without a Phone"!

Lessons from Winnie the Pooh

Read the award-winning graduation speech from Isabella Raigoza!
Lessons from Winnie the Pooh

On May 21st, Isabella Raigoza was selected as the winner of our second-annual Glendale High School Graduation Speech Contest. Here is the address that she will deliver this evening, at the 2024 GHS graduation ceremony. Congratulations to Isabella, who will be attending UC San Diego in the fall, and good luck to the members of the graduating Class of 2024!

“Lessons from Winnie the Pooh”

Deep in the Hundred Acre Woods, the infamous Winnie the Pooh said something truly profound: “How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

It’s remarkable how such a small bear can deliver such earnest statements. Mr. Pooh has always held a special place in my heart. His gentle demeanor and soft voice were always filled with such kindness.

It was not until recently, however, that I developed a deep appreciation for the wisdom within his words. As we all share the burden of knowing, there will inevitably be a time in which life will hurt you. And once you’re hurt you’ll think you’re wounded forever.

At least, that’s what I thought.

I faced many mental battles during my junior year and I felt nothing but grief for the life I was not taking advantage of. My mind was enclosed in negativity, blinding any sight of optimism.

But then I stumbled upon Pooh Bear’s comforting presence. His quotes scattered like breadcrumbs of hope, and I couldn’t help but read them all.

Then, I began to notice, Winnie the Pooh never said anything outstanding or brilliant. All he ever did was express his appreciation for life. And I’ve come to realize, that’s all you need.

Your 2024 Graduation Speech Contest winner, Isabella Raigoza

I am extremely proud of the collective class of 2024 and our academic accomplishments, but as individuals I ask, what will you remember about high school? For me, it would have to be watching all of you guys laugh as I did funny dance moves as the bright dynamite mascot, Dyno. Although I am immensely proud of my academic accomplishments, forty years down the line I will vividly remember the joy of making people smile in a sweaty red suit.

Pooh has taught me to see the beauty in simplicity and I especially see this today: four years of hard work directing us toward a bright future. Yet as we sit at our own graduation, our emotions flood out toward those who have accompanied us throughout.

Today, I am looking at the girl who was once a stranger in my math class, the boy who was once a stranger in an elective, and the many others who I now get to closely embrace. And I bet if you look around, you’ll see past strangers like mine. These are the people that I have shared my simple joys with, from frantically over-analyzing Frankenstein for Ms. Ciotti’s AP Lit class, to laughing over our embarrassingly low calculus scores. Within every conflict, there is a simple joy to be found with the right people.

With that being said, parents, guardians, relatives, and friends, take a second to acknowledge the strength of your loved ones. I know this is just one moment in a continuous strand of proud moments.

Now, as we continue towards our next milestone, let us carry the strength and wisdom of our pal Winnie the Pooh. Even as we part ways, know that in your Hundred Acre Woods, there will always be an Eeyore, Piglet, and all your dear forest friends to accompany you. These are the people who will bring the inner Pooh within us, enriching our lives with simple joys.

Congratulations, Class of 2024! I will see you all at our twenty-year reunion.