Solidarity Week Comes to GHS

Everyone should be an ally to our LGBTQ+ community!

Marian Martínez, Staff Writer

Glendale High School is celebrating its first ever Solidarity Week, September 27th through October 1st! Ms. Sydnee Castaneda, our beloved US History teacher (Room 4318), is working hard to make sure the LGBTQ+ community feels safe and feels their allies’ support. Ms. Castaneda said that she is proud that she can help GHS celebrate Solidarity Week and encourage everyone to stand up for others and to support one another. 

“Solidarity is when we all come together and acknowledge that we’re united,” Ms. Castaneda said, “and the purpose of Solidarity Week is to bring together the LGBTQ community and their allies and show we are united and we’ll stand up for each other.” 

In recognition of Solidarity Week, Ms. Castaneda helped sell rainbow pins, and she designed Pride T-shirts that will be sold this week, too. She is also looking forward to filling up a bulletin board outside of her classroom with printed “Ally Cards” with names. The cards read “My name is _____ and I’m an ally because_____.” Ms. Castaneda hopes that she can get as many teachers and staff’ members as possible to fill out those cards, to show GHS that we stand united with the LGBTQ+ community. 

Ms. Castaneda said that the District has approved the observation of Solidarity Week and other schools have been recognizing it for some time now. She said that there’s “no time like the present” to bring this recognition to GHS. She hopes we can all feel safe and respected and get along with each other, no matter our differences or similarities. 

Stand in solidarity, Nitros, and always be an ally to the LGBTQ+ community!